Seafarers and Fishermen
Relate NI is working with Seafarers UK to provide free counselling to current and retired seafarers, fishermen and anybody that works at sea, as well their family and dependants.
No matter whether you are the skipper of a fishing vessel, or a hairdresser on a passenger ferry, as long as you work at sea we can provide 6 fully funded sessions for you, your partner, your children or the entire family together.
Our confidential counselling therapy can take place in person across Northern Ireland, as well online or over the phone, depending on your preference and availability.
In order to make a self-referral for you or a member of your family, all you have to do is contact the Seafarers' Advice & Information Line (SAIL) using their online enquiry form here, or using the following contact details;
Freephone Telephone Number (between 10am-4pm): 0800 160 1842
Simply mention that you would like to avail of the free Relate NI Counselling sessions.
This is simply so that Seafarers UK can release the funding for your free counselling sessions. You won't have to discuss your personal situation or reasons for seeking counselling support to anybody other than your personal counsellor.
If you are experiencing any difficulty making a self-referral, or want to make a referral on behalf of an organisation, please email our seafaring & fishing co-ordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQS):
Who is eligible?
- Current serving and ex-fishing fleet, merchant navy, partners and their dependants
What is available?
- Relationship Counselling for couples/individuals – up to 6 sessions
- Family Counselling – up to 6 sessions
- *Children’s and Young People’s counselling – up to 6 sessions
- Sex Therapy – up to 12 sessions
- UK wide including locations across Northern Ireland
- In person or by webcam or telephone, depending on your preference and availability
- We will continue Face to Face counselling in a way that complies with current social distancing guidelines as long as it is safe to do so
- *Due to the effects of Covid-19 restrictions we cannot currently provide counselling to children aged 10 and under
What issues does Relate help with?
Some common reasons people seek support include:
- Couple relationships and their effects on children
- Working away causing tensions/making it hard to find or hold down a relationship
- Loneliness or loss related to relationships ending
- Covid-19 related tensions, loneliness, anxiety and grief
- affairs and trust issues
- Physical and or psychological issues with intimacy
- Family separation, step family relationships, new families
- Bullying, harassment, self-harm, school pressures impacting children and young people
- Other issues such as money worries, parenting, addictions causing rows and arguments